At Big Nerd Ranch, we specialize in developing business-building mobile and web apps for our clients. We then teach students what we’ve learned through our signature immersive bootcamps, and every year we release new books in our best-selling series of Big Nerd Ranch Guides.
How do we do it? It’s all our people -- we only hire the best. And then we live our values of being brilliant, kind, and hardworking.
We’re looking for Nerds who are as passionate as we are about writing stylish code on the most exciting platforms. Engineers who want to be amongst the smartest, kindest people they know.
Sound appealing? Learn more about us.
As a Developer, you will…
- Work on apps written in both Objective-C and Swift
- Develop complex macOS applications where versioning, performance, localization and accessibility are required
- Develop Applications with a complex release cycle
- Be responsible for finding and improving weak points in the development cycle
- Code-review your team members
- Demonstrate attention to detail and common architectural patterns in your code
- Refactoring and improving the performance of applications
- Have experience writing Unit and UI tests to accompany Swift code
- Write stories (use cases, technical and functional requirements), tests and code
- Help guide clients towards effective solutions that balance technical requirements and business needs
- Attend development meetings (stand-ups, kick-offs, retrospectives) and design sessions with teams and clients
- Inspire fellow nerds, future clients, our students, and the community at large by writing, speaking, contributing to open source software, and demonstrating our collective expertise and experience
As a candidate, you…
- Know the macOS Core competencies (windowing, code signing, delegation, object archiving, accessibility, the responder chain…)
- Have excellent written and communication skills
- Can effectively work and communicate in a primarily remote environment
- Know the intricacies of building, archiving, and releasing an iOS or macOS app
- Have experience with git
- Know the core aspects of iOS development including architecture, design, configuration, the Xcode environment, Objective-C and Swift
- Have a solid knowledge of multithreaded programming and UI concepts (responder chain and accessibility)
- Are friendly; strong interpersonal skills are key for success
You might also…
- Be an advanced git user
- Have customized and configured Apple’s WKWebViews
- Have worked on iOS/macOS Continuous Integration or in an environment managed by active CI
- Be passionate about speaking publicly or blogging regularly
- Have experience teaching technical skills
The benefits we offer to full time employees:
- Health, dental, vision, life insurance; 401k matching, short and long term disability
- Any hardware, software or services you need to do your job are always 100% on us.
- A flexible, remote-friendly and learning based environment where creative ideas are explored and the desire to learn new technologies is encouraged and valued.
- Must reside in the US and be legally authorized to work in the US.
At the Big Nerd Ranch you'll be working with the most brilliant, most kind, and hardest working nerds in the solar system. You’ll help companies build and launch useful products, and share what you’ve learned with the world. Are you up to the challenge?